Merriam Webster dictionary defines it as simply ” Reliance on one’s own efforts and abilities”.
Wikipedia explains that ” it is the need for each individual to avoid conformity and false consistency and follow his own instincts and ideas.
According to Genesis 3: 19 ‘ By the sweat of your face you shall eat bread, till you return to the ground, for out of it were taken, for you are dust and to dust you shall return”.
An American Philosopher, Ralph Waldo Emerson gave 3 examples of Self Reliance which include;
1) Thinking independently
2) Embracing your individuality
3) Striving towards your own goals/ bravery
Religiously Self Reliance is explained to be the ability, commitment and effort to provide the spiritual and temporal necessities of life for self and family.
Therefore self reliance is a necessity, the principle of life we need to take care of ourselves and others.
It is divided into two
A) Spiritual Self Reliance; This is simply doing all we can do for our spiritual growth.
B)Temporal Self Reliance means we can provide for our personal and family’s physical needs, shelter, food, clothing, education and health care and education etc.
1) You can solve problems and make decisions by yourself
2) Depending on your self
3) Believing in your self and self acceptance
4) Acquiring self knowledge and practicing self – compassion
5) Gives you different perspectives of life
6) Gives you direction
1) Find out what you are good at. Eg; some people are good at sales, some prefer to work etc
2) Ponder on the strength you have.
3) Check the preferred employment options and
Eg of jobs; Nursing, teaching, nanny etc
Self employment; Home supplies, Auto cleaning, dry cleaning, plumbing etc
4) List some options and consider the ones that match your strengths and experience or those that could match later as you learn and progress or preferred school.
Then go for it, the sky is your starting point.
Written By Jessica . U. Onyika
Posted by Iyke Kanu Okorie.